May 09, 2005

Camping Trip to Yosemite!

Well we made it back from our camping trip to Yosemite. And to be honest I'm glad. I really had my hopes too high and was a little let down. Not because it wasn't nice or anything like that, but because I was expecting to get to relax and I didn't get to. Let me start at the beginning...
We left early Friday morning and met the gang for breakfast then started on our way. We went South to Gilroy then over to Merced then up through some mountainous terrain. When I say mountainous, I really mean it. It was about 70 miles of slow driving thru twists and turns. I never get car sick, but I have to say I almost did! It took forever and we vowed to come back a different way and we did. Well we finally get there and we get settled in and meet up. The kids start playing and we start BBQing. Then all 'hell' broke loose! Rebecca was chasing after a ball, lost her footing and fell face first into the concrete/gravel road. She had no time to put her hands out and stop herself from hitting so her face took all the impact. She had a mouth full of dirt and was choking on it, busted her lip in about 5-10 places, had road rash on her forehead and chin and on top of it all, chipped her front tooth! And to make a bad situation worse-her allergies had her nose so runny that she couldn't breath and I (of all people) forgot her allergy medicine! She was absolutely miserable the rest of the evening. We finally got back to our 'Yurt' at about 10:30 and she got a burst of energy and played for a while and then went on to an uneasy night. She must have been in some pain because she tossed and turned and moaned most of the night. Which also means Joe and I got no sleep because we were worried about her.
Saturday wasn't much better. We got up and met the gang and headed to Yosemite National Park. Rebecca did not want to be in the car and was a handful most of the day. I'm sure she didn't feel well and was pretty sore from her fall. We did get to see a few really nice things like the Bridal Veil Waterfall. And also a circular rainbow. I would imagine those kinds of Rainbows are rare, but then again there was plenty of moisture in the air from the many waterfalls that are there. So they may not be so rare in that part of the country. We ended up leaving the gang to head back to our cabin early for Rebecca to get some rest. What a difference that made. She got a good 3 hour nap and it was like night and day in her mood. She played really well the rest of the night. We got in early that night and to bed pretty early too.
The next morning was a hoot. At 5:00 am Joe was up getting dressed and I asked him what he was doing...he was going out to scare off the birds that were chirping right outside our door and waking him up. It was so funny. He went out and scared them off and it got really quiet. No sooner did he come back in, get undressed and back in bed, that the birds came back and started up again. This time they chirped differently, almost as if they were laughing at him. It was soooo funny! He was mad! What do you expect when you're out in the wilderness? We got up, dressed, checked out and on our way home. Like I said earlier, we took a much faster way home.
It was definitely and experience. I think if we ever do something like this again, we'll wait until Rebecca's at least another year older. She was just too young. Which comes to me and Joe not getting to relax. There was just too many things that could hurt her, so we really had to keep a very good eye on her. I was expecting a big field that would have things for them to do that we didn't have to worry about, but it didn't. There was a big, rushing river that she could've easily fallen into, so we had to keep her from that. Oh well, lessons learned.
I'll post the few pictures we got. We were so busy that we forgot to take a lot of pictures! Shame on us.

1 comment:

Myldy said...

Poor Rebecca.....too much excitement and too much to see! I am glad that you were able to see some sites and get some great pictures. Next time will be a much better trip, I'm sure.