April 16, 2007

Relay Decor...


Well the Relay is almost here! Yeah!! Looking forward to it and looking forward to it being over with so my life isn't so consumed by it. Here's a picture of the main decorations. This years theme is 'Striking Out Cancer'. So we have to decorate our campsite in a baseball theme...hence the ball and bats. The bats are decorated with a picture of a 5 year old little boy named Mathew Bowden who just finished his rounds of Chemo in October and is in Remission! It says 'Honoring A Miracle'. I also nominated Mathew for the Relay for Life Angel of Hope and he was chosen. So, his picture will be all over the field, in the programs, etc. Everyone will know who he is....A survivor! A brave one at that. And to top it off...this little boy was in foster care for a long while and he was just permanently adopted. Great story huh?!
The other bat is our Memory bat. It has a 1 year old little girl, appropriately named Angel on it who lost her battle with Neuroblastoma at 19 months old. And it says 'Remembering an Angel'. I met her mom on the phone one day when I dialed the wrong number. How neat is that??? I was looking for someone else and we got to talking and I told her what I was doing and she told me about Angel. This Mother (Dawn), has gone above and beyond in helping us raise our money. She wasn't quite ready to actually be on a team or even really participate, but she sold over 100 luminaries in Angels memory and gave it to us for our team. I plan on giving her my shirt that we get when we raise over $100 and I'm giving her a team shirt and a bag of our fundraising goodies. I know it's not enough for all that she's done. But she'll know I appreciate her and I will always keep in touch with her. I can't imagine what she's going through, but I do think she's very brave for going on everyday with her pain and facing each day. I really don't think I could. (wiping the tears).
Ok, so the bats will be on each side of our big tent (20'x24') and the ball will be between them at the top and it'll look like it was just hit and flying in the sky. Our site will be lit up with all kinds of lights and I have bases for stepping stones. I'm really excited and I think from what everyone else is saying that we may actually win the decoration contest. That's my goal anyway. (PS...if you click on the picture you can see it close up).
Enjoy.

4 comments:

Myldy said...

You've done a terrific job so far and your generosity is the best. So glad you met Dawn and your team WILL win...I just know it!!

You go girl!!

Lori said...

It looks fantastic! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You're amazing, Julie. Really. I love your decorations - they're awesome - and hope you win, too! I guess you were meant to dial that wrong number. Very touching. Wish you well, we'll see you soon! Love ya.

Violet the Verbose said...

The decorations look great! Reading about your Relay stuff reminds me, I really need to get back to your e-mail about donating, and my sister's (she gathered a team in Tracy) too. My sister has been walking the Relay for Life with my dad for the past 5 or 6 years. He is a survivor (prostate).