So Wednesday morning I reminded her that when she got home from school she was going to clean her room and she said "ok!" So sure enough the minute we get home (just after 2 pm), she gets a snack and a drink then off to her room to clean it before her little friend comes over to play. She didn't clean it. So when he got here, she had to stay in her room. They stayed for about an hour, still in her room...nothing done. This continues on until 7:30!!!!! (She is stubborned like me). So at 7:30 she comes in whining that she can't do anymore. Not that she had done anything but make it worse since she got home. So I said "Fine!!! You go turn off your light and go to bed!! I don't want to hear another word out of your mouth!!!" Well, she turned around, crying, when to her room, turned off the light then...we hear her screaming. Let me first say that this is a normal thing for her when she doesn't get her way. She will scream at the top of her lungs. I told Joe "Don't go in there, she's just trying to get our attention." He went in anyway and I followed. I heard him say something and by the time I got around the corner, they were at the door. My poor baby was covering her mouth with both hands and blood just pooring down her arms. I shoved her in the bathroom which is right there and got a towel and started cleaning her up. Had Joe get a stool and a cup so we could rinse her mouth out. I got it to stop bleed profusely and took her in the living room to lay on the couch where I could see. Her teeth were all there. One looked chipped, but then I lifted up her lip...OH MY GOD!!! She had literally detatched her upper lip from her gum line. It was a hole about an inch wide. AND the gums around her left canine and eye tooth was completely torn away. I turned around and calmly said "Joe, get dressed we're going to the hospital."
So we get to the hospital about 15-20 minutes later. We had to go to the next town because our hospital is known for killing people that come in with minor injuries. They're actually shutting down...long story. We get right into admitting. Wait for about 15 minutes and they bring her back. Another 15 minutes goes by and they are ready to stitch her up. It only took 2 stiches. They said the mouth heals very quickly and they just stiched it up to stop the bleeding and to help it along. She did so good! She was so brave. The lady Dr. had an amazing bedside manner and made Rebecca feel so comfortable...me too for that matter. She had her numbed and stitched in seconds. I was so proud of her. She didn't cry, wasn't scared and it had everything to do with the calmness of the Dr. and her explaining the process as she went. Thankfully we haven't had to spend too much time in the ER, but his visit was a pleasant one under the circumstances. They gave us some Antibiotics since the mouth is such a germy place and told us to give her some Motrin for the pain.
As you probably know...when she turned off her bedroom light, she tripped over her toys and hit her mouth on the bed frame. We only know that because that's where all the blood was at. Pretty good sign that that's where she hit.
I took her to the dentist the following morning just to make sure her teeth where fine and they are. A little chip on her front tooth, but no lasting damage thank goodness. Last summer she had a root canal on her other front tooth because she hit it hard causing nerve damage. I was certain this happened again since the gum was torn away. The dentist said the gum would slough off by itself and regenerate. So that was good news. And it's already better in that spot.
She is doing really well now. You can barely notice it anymore, but the few days following you could really see the swollen upper lip. She looked like a fish so I nicknamed her Fishlips and it always makes her laugh or smile. For a couple of days there was oozing, but not real bleeding and it would happend after she would laugh a lot or talk a lot.
So, can you believe this...Tonight she started all over again with the room cleaning. So I picked it all up and put it a garbage bag! She's gonna learn one way or another. PS...she'll get it back, but only after a few days of thinking her favorite toys are in the trash.
Here are some pictures!!!
The morning after. My poor baby girl.
Trying to smile.
And I shall name her 'Fish Lips'. LOL...that's what I've been calling her.
A couple of days after...looking better.
3 comments:
So sorry for her doing that...but you are on the right track. Poor baby. I feel for her....Gage hit his mouth on the bed frame and jammed his front tooth right back up into the gum....took 3 years to bring that tooth back down. But it came in beautifully. Thank goodness. Kids do survive and kudos to that Dr for doing such a great job with Rebecca.
Oh my goodness - how scary! She sounds like a very brave girl, though! Maybe Rebecca can give me some moral support for my upcoming wisdom teeth removal....
She's a beautiful girl, even with the swollen mouth!
Oh geez, OUCH! I'm sorry for all of you - that sucks! We've got similar problems with stubbornness. My mother-in-law did the garbage thing with the toys but once she took them away they were gone for good. I don't know if I could follow through with that on every toy, but it sure would get the point across! I've threatened the same but Sweet Pea always starts cleaning like crazy after that so I haven't had to actually go through with it.
Post a Comment