April 21, 2009

My baby has Scarlet Fever!

Can you believe that??? Turns out that you can get it from Strep Throat which she has. Ugh. The Dr. said "It's not like your grandmothers Scarlet Fever, but still has some of the same side effects if it goes untreated". Such as damage to the heart valves, liver and kidney damage. So instead of a long 10 day dose of Amoxicillian, he gave her one hell of a shot in her butt of Penicillian. This was the biggest stinkin' needle I've seen and she took it like a champ. She cried really bad, but she was still brave. Click here if you want to read more.
So she can't go to school at all this week because it is very contagious to those susepitble. Children under 2 don't get it and those over 25 is very rare if they get it. So Joe and I don't have to worry too much about it.
I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow! I haven't heard much about Scarlet Fever. I can't believe Rebecca got it! Poor thing! Good thing you took her to the doc's when you did. The needle in the butt sounds scary, though! Hopefully she won't drive you too nuts this week & she'll be back to her old self by Monday!

Myldy said...

I've seen it quite a few times...not to worry the penicillin will squash it. You did good...you're a good mom.
Get well Rebecca!

The Bowden Family said...

We just got a letter from the kids school that strep is making the rounds....I sure hope none of my kids get it. I hope Rebecca feels better soon. That poor kid, she just can't get a break can she? And neither can you mama!