June 13, 2006

American Cancer Society's Relay for Life-2006

What a great weekend it was! Let me start from the beginning...
On Wednesday Rachel and I and our kids drove up to Monterey CA. It was a fun road trip. The kids watched movies and fought. Rachel and I sang and pretended we were American Idols. We got into Monterey at her parents at around 4:30...we left at 10:00 so we made great time. That evening we just hung out and ate burgers.
On Thursday morning, I got up and Rach took me to the airport to pick up a rental car and I headed to San Jose to see my dear friend/adopted mom Roz and my friends from my old playgroup the MonkeyMoms. We all had dinner at the Outback. It was great to see them all again. Then on Friday Roz and I went and had lunch, hung out for a bit more and then I had to head back to Monterey to help set up for the weekend.
On Saturday Morning, the opening ceremonies for the Relay for Life started with the Survivors Lap and then the 24 hours of walking. Our team (Family of H.O.P.E.) did really well at our bake sale, Raffles and our jewelry we made. Makenzi and Riley also had an Alex's Lemonade stand that brought in $76 in donations. Doesn't sound like much, but when it's a quarter here, 50 cents here...that's a lot of lemonade sold. If you're not familiar with Alex's Lemonade Stands, Click here for more information on Alex. Anyway, it was just a great weekend. Made some new friends. Our team won an award for the 'Best Team Spirit'. As you can see in the pictures our team was decorated with smiley faces. Each team is suppose to decorate their camp site with a theme and that was ours. Our team also go up and sang kareoke (a first for most of us)-we did "We got the Beat" by the Go Go's. It was fun. Some of the kids there were up most of the night singing and they did line dancing. Really fun. And Rachel won a contest for the craziest hat-which was a surprise to her and she made it out of our paperplates-good job. And last but not least her sister Heidi won the speed walk contest-you go girl!
Rachel really went above and beyond getting this together as she does every year and I just want to take a moment and thank her for including me in this year. I loved it and can't wait to participate next year! And thanks to Oma and Opa (Pat and Karl-Rachels parents) for the hospitality and making Rebecca and I feel at home. OH YEAH...thanks for all the coffee too-even though it was decaf and I had no idea!
Anyway, we got back yesterday and no matter how much fun I had, I'm glad to be home. Besides today is Mine and Joe's 8th wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary to us. I love you Joe!
So the pictures are in no particular order, but enjoy them anyway!
Julie
PS...Thanks to all of you who donated and supported me and our team in this. And thanks to all of you who couldn't donated but had me/us in your thoughts!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an eventful weekend! I wish I was there for the mom's night out!

Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything went well and you had a good time! It was so great to see you and spend some time. Happy Anniversary to you and Joseph!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary! I remember it as if it were yesterday! I am glad ya'll had a good time and were successful with your team. Way to go girls!! I love ya and miss ya!

Anonymous said...

OK...you asked so you will receive. Ha Ha! Alex was diagnosed just before her first birthday and passed away in 2004 at the age of 8. She started her very first lemonade stand at the age of 4 and it was on the 9th-11th of June. Those dates are now national lemonade stand dates to raise money to support Pediatric Cancer Research.

We had an awesome time with you and Becca. We are glad you enjoyed yourself and that you're looking forward to next year. We are too!

You forgot to mention my wacky hat and the speed lap that we also won 1st place for. Yeah! It's all fun!

P.S. It's Karl not Carl. Lol!!!

Love,
Rach

Myldy said...

Sounds like you and everyone else had a terrific time and for a wonderful cause. CONGRATS!!! for all the time and effort you put in. Wish I could have been there to see it all happening.

Happy Anniversary to you and Joe!