May 01, 2006

Update on Rebecca...

I'm just not ready to deal with this kind of stuff. She's only been this sick one other time and it was with an ear infection. We took her to the emergency room. That was scary and very much like this episode.
OK...so I really need to bitch (excuse my language...I'm running on no sleep for 2 days now). Let's see I was so annoyed at the Dr.s office this morning. I called at 8:00 and got an appointment for 10:20. I got there a little early and sat in the waiting room for and hour and a half. Then got into the exam and waited some more. I was getting really pissed because here my daughter is crying from pain and they're just leaving me in there while they take care of kids there for their 'Well' baby appointments. Hence the word WELL. I had to run out and ask the nurse/receptionist for water and she told me they didn't have any. And was rude about it. As far as I could see Rebecca was the only sick kid in there, why didn't they see she was in agony and look at her first. Because it only took 5 minutes and we were out of there. And why do they bother giving you appointments if they can't stick to it. It's not like people were just walking in...they don't take walk in's there. I mean if it were Rebecca who was well and another kid was in there crying in pain I would be like..."Please go see them first, I don't mind waiting".
On with my rant...in another instance...
Rachels daughter Makenzi fell and hit her head a few weeks ago and split it open. They rushed her to the emergency room at 9:00 at night with this open gash in her head bleeding and they had to sit there and wait 3 hours before they got her in there for staples. I mean come on people! This poor kid is bleeding and all they say is..."Take a number."
I tell you the thought crossed my mind to walk out of there and take her to the emergency room. Even though it's a minor virus, it's still scary as hell when you really haven't had the experience of illness because you have such a healthy kid. And there's just nothing you can do to help her. It's such a helpless feeling.
Ok...I think I'm done cursing and ranting & raving. In the end, Rebecca is going to be fine and I just have to keep her home for another day or two because she's contagious.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Desma was 6 mo old, 2 days after christmas, we had to take her to Citizens ER in Victoria, we were in there 4 hours, while we were there, her temp went from 99 to 102. It finally started to go down after I gave her Tylenol. We walked out and they still charged my $75.00 for that crap...And the people they saw in front of her were a bunch of drunks spitting up funky stuff, needless to say, we did not take her back there.
--katy

Stahl family said...

Poor, Becca! Jayden also got the Herpes virus. He was much younger though and his WHOLE MOUTH broke out in the little sores that cause the pain. They gave him something to stop the virus from spreading (not sure what) and also some lidocaine to ease the pain. I feel for you and for Rebecca. Hope she is better soon.

Anonymous said...

I hope Becca is better soon and you get caught up on sleep real soon too! We miss you guys and there is a much needed day to spend together.Take care, get better Becca and get some sleep mommy!
Love,
Rach

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Rebecca is sick. It will get easier, but the waiting just gets longer. You Know I have to be honest with you(lol) My advice, keep her out of daycare as long as possible, but let her interact with as many kids as possible so her immune system builds up. Then when she starts school she will have some resistance and won't get everything she comes in contact with her first year of school. I'm glad she will be ok.

Amanda said...

Is that the same as Hand, Foot and Mouth? If so we have had that :) She will be sick for like 6 months and then she will hardly be sick again-that is the preschool thing. I hope she gets better soon and that you get some rest. We are sick too so I know how you feel :)

Myldy said...

Well... the Herpes virus 1 is just cold sores....they pop up anywhere...mouth, eyes, nose..etc 75% of the people get them. I'm so sorry she got it. When she goes to school she is going to get alot of new germs and be it now or later...you cannot get away from it....sorry to say. But the lidocaine eases the discomfort. Sorry your experience with the Dr. office wasn't good and them not having water in a pediatrics office is unspeakable. What does he wash his hands with between patients? ARGH!!!!! That's why I don't so nursing anymore. Sooo much frustration with the inadequacies of the medical profession.!

Anonymous said...

I hope Rebecca is a lot better now. That virus sounds terrible! We've been very fortunate with Faith so far. Hugs to you and Rebecca! I hope you've managed to catch up on some sleep too! We'll be back in town soon so hopefully we'll be able to visit you folks this month!