Remember this picture I posted last year in this blog? Well it's the last one I took of her with her 'Binky' and as of yesterday morning...the last one you'll see with her and that dreaded 'Binky'. We took it away and it's been successful! Last night she wanted it and cried for about 15-20 minutes begging me to go get it. I told her that the kitty took it outside and buried it in the dirt (yes, I wanted her mad at the innocent cat and not me. What can I say?). She wanted me to go out and get the Black Kitty to find it. See we have a white kitty that I've pretty much adopted and his friend that hangs out here all the time with White Kitty is Black Kitty. That's what we've named them: Black Kitty and White Kitty...anyway...I told her it was too late and that the binkys were gone for good and she'd be ok since she was such a big girl and didn't need them anymore. Well that really didn't help and she threw a fit and finally ended up crying herself to sleep. Every morning she gets up and comes to my room and wakes me up. This morning she came in and said "Binky all Gone!" and was ok with it. I had told her last night that if she went to bed with out it like a big girl that we'd go to Chuck E Cheese as her reward. Then nap time rolled around and she was pretty cranky and getting her to nap with out it was a struggle. But she did take a nap and by the time she woke up I wasn't up for going out to lunch. I feel badly for not taking her, but I will this week. BUT...tonight when she went down for bed it was as if she had been with out it forever!!! I'm so proud!! 8:45 rolled around and I told her it was bedtime and she said "OK" went and kissed her daddy goodnight, crawled into bed and fell right asleep...no problems at all. Another thing that she has done just since today is she doesn't want to sleep with her favorite blanky. She's been sleeping with a blanket that her Aunt Chelsea made me for Christmas 2 years ago that Rebecca adopted as her own. She hasn't gone to bed with out this blanket since we got it and all of a sudden at nap time today she didn't want it anymore. Maybe she thinks it's no good with out the binky...who knows? So tonight, she still didn't want it and went to sleep under her sheet and comforter for the first time ever...like a big girl. Once again I'm very proud.
Anyway, all this binky success is because of Dana, my friend Rachels husband. So thank you Dana for your help. Thank you for giving me such a hard time about it that it finally pushed me into taking it away from her. What got me though really is I went over to their house yesterday to borrow a tree stand (since Joe threw ours away) and I told him that I took it away from her. He asked me if I threw them in the trash and I said "No, I put them in the drawer just in case I couldn't handle it". He laughed and said I'd end up giving them back to her because I'm a sucker. WELL...I had to prove a point. I don't like it when someone tells me I can't do something. Now granted it's only been two days and the binkys are still in the drawer but there's no going back for me now. We will remain binky free! Thanks again Dana and Rachel-We did it!
4 comments:
Yay! I'm so happy for you that it's over with and proud of Rebecca for handling it so well! I had Faith's pacifier in the drawer for at least month after we took it away -- it almost felt like "I" was too attached to let it go. I even contemplated putting it into the memory box I have for her. But in the end it ended up in the trash can.
Can we borrow Dana and Rachel over here??!! I'm so impressed, Julie, that is awesome news!! Give Rebecca kisses and hugs and congratulate our big girl :-)! We're next...
So...binkies, binkies, binkies. You've got to love them! I think the attachment is more for us moms as we know they will make a child quiet if needed. I think it's a huge accomplishment when it's gone and us moms should be rewarded for giving them up! Smiles and good luck for those that are trying to give them up too.
P.S. I have both my kids first binkies in a shadow memory box. It's a memory to cherish later...
Goodbye Binky!!!!!!!!!!! I was lucky and Jason never wanted one. He had a blanket and I kept cutting it down and cutting it down until there was only about the size of small napkin and sewed it to a pillow case. He couldn't take the pillow around so he adjusted to it only at night on the pillow.
I'm proud of you Julie and cudos to your friends!
Post a Comment